Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Motueka -- Chemist

In New Zealand, and elsewhere we’ve heard, you don’t go to the doctor if you are ill. Instead, you go to the pharmacist (aka the chemist, as their sign says). It is a bit different than in the states, and it is actually an interesting system – it is certainly cheaper.

We aren’t really sure what caused it, but I have been having wicked allergies. Typically, a Claritin will solve any hayfever issues I have at home, but it has not been helping at all lately. So, we searched out a Chemist for some advice. (Note from Erin: I tricked him into walking into the pharmacy after enduring days and days of complaining. There was no "we searched.") After explaining my symptoms, the pharmacist said that I was having an allergic reaction to the uber-pollen of NZ. He suggested that I take a nasal spray, and since then I have been a new man. Now I am getting proper sleep, and I can actually keep up with Erin when we go for hikes, etc.

We were very impressed with the Chemist system, and although we have nothing against Drs – it was nice to only have to pay one person for the diagnosis and prescription process.

J

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Nick_Riviera

That's the great thing about allergies in foreign countries, you can get just about anything over the counter that requires a prescription in the states, and if you can't get it otc, there is always a friendly chemist to give you something really crazy. No FDA rules.... it's amazing how cheap stuff is too. I suffered miserably in the south countryside of France and the Beatrix Potter-zone of the English Cotswalds, but big-pharma was easy to get... try a netty pot too (hot salty water in one nostril and out the other) Hope you're having a great time. Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home