Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Other Beijing Sites


We stayed in a pretty cool neighborhood in Beijing. We were very near the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. There was plenty of shopping and eating and sightseeing without having to venture too far afield.
We visited the Jingshan Park, which is a one of the highest points in the city. It was made from the dirt which was excavated from around the Forbidden City for its moat. There are a few pagodas and temples on the property, and it is an excellent place to look out over the Forbidden City - well, it would be an excellent place if it weren't for the smog. The park was a nice place to escape from the major crowds (see the previous post) and have a moment of near solitude. It was very serene with a small grove of trees and other folliage.

2 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are in China. I love your pictures! This is so much better than the Travel Channel. Aunt Shell

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I can't believe we are in China either. Yesterday was a day when I really, really didn't want to be here but today I am ready to face the chaos again.

We ate at a restaurant managed by a Kiwi expat. He was trained as a pastry chef and made the best cookies I have had since I last had one of my own. (Actually, they were better than mine but a girl has to have some pride.) Soft, chocolate cookies after an excellent bottle of Australian Pinot Noir did a marvelous job of turning around my attitude. Joey was quite thankful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home