Thursday, March 15, 2007

Overnight Train from Beijing to Shanghai

We took a train from Beijing to Shanghai overnight, and it was an interesting experience. The trip took 14 hours, and I tried to sleep for as long as possible. Erin researched the next leg of our journey, which started as soon as we arrived. We decided not to stay in Shanghai overnight, but instead we went straight to Suzhou (pronounced soo-joe). The overall trip took nearly 16 hours from leaving Beijing to arriving in Suzhou, and as you might imagine we felt a little exhausted and a bit dirty.

As an aside (and I'm not sure if we've mentioned this yet), but there are lots of smokers in China. For some reason, they also like to smoke in confined spaces like bathrooms, busses, and train cars. Erin and I have joked that smoking cigarettes must be the national sport. I feel like I've smoked a carton of cigarettes since we've been here, and that is just from second hand smoke.

4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many of you are occupying this cozy space? Do they have dining cars? Observation cars? Considering people size there, are the beds long enough for Joey?

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our section had three beds on either side of the aisle, so six beds within arms distance. All together there were probably 36 bunks in the car we were riding in. There were no dining or observation cars, and the restrooms were pretty scary.
I was able to fit in the bed ok, but my feet hung off the end a bit. I just hope my snoring didn't keep all the other passengers awake.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got my tickets! In Bangkok May 2-15. Will forward times later. E2.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Erin said...

We are so excited that you are coming, Erica. I will start to look into places to stay, etc. We are going to have a great time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home