Monday, February 04, 2013

My hair

My hair is my most defining feature. It is how I recognize myself and other's recognize me. That two foot fall of thick, brown, wavy hair was -- no snickers please -- my crowning glory. 

And I loved it. I didn't do much with it but I loved having long hair. I loved getting it brushed. I loved the compliments. I loved the way Joey would grab the ends as he would walk by. I loved Sabine's attempts to comb it. I loved the way Daria curled her hand into it at night when she couldn't sleep. I loved my hair. 

So, cancer. She's kind of ruthless with the whole tear you down so you can build back up thing. I needed to cut my hair before she took it. 

Friday before my first round of chemo, I went pixie. 


And it looked gorgeous! And I got to donate 22" of my hair to go to someone else who is not quite ready to show off their bald self. And a ton of our friends showed up to celebrate with us after. 


After round two of chemo, my hair started falling out in clumps. Time to go to the second layer. Again, it looks gorgeous. And, again, my friends and family were there to cheer me on. Joey, Ben, and Alyssa all joined in so there are a few extra bald heads around these parts right now. 



I loved my hair and I miss it. This new look, though, is pretty rocking. I can happily swing it for a little bit longer. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home