Friday, May 18, 2007

Muay Thai


Erica and I decided that we just had to go see Thai kickboxing. Technically it is called Muay Thai, but I'm not sure that everyone knows that name. Erin didn't really want to see guys beating the crap out of each other, so she stayed in and read a new book.

In any case, there are fights every Friday night in Krabi, so Erica and I bought some tickets and hopped on the local bus. I had heard of Muay Thai and it is on TV from time to time, but seeing it live was a real treat. There probably weren't 100 people in the entire arena, but it was a grand experience.


Each fight begins with a short ritual performed by each fighter in the ring. They start with a prayer and then walk around the ring in a steady dance-like pace. Meanwhile, they stretch their arms and legs, paying particular attention to hip stretches. You can see in the picture below that one guy is kneeling while the other is pacing. After seeing them kick and knee each other for a while, you understand why it is important to focus on the hip flexors before a match.

We saw 7 bouts and I was surprised at how little blood there was. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't there to see violence as much as I was there to experience a little culture. But after all I'd heard about how crazy the fights were, it was surprising to see how tame it turned out to be. When I say "tame" I mean that we saw one broken nose, several knockouts, and one dislocated shoulder. But still no blood. Weird.

My favorite part of the crowd watching was the betting section which was right in front of us. This area of the arena had no seats, since most of the guys in this area were pretty much on their feet the whole night. They would holler out bets and yell at the fighters during each match. I got the feeling that the gamblers would make a bet and then yell at the contestant to fight harder so that he wouldn't lose money. It was a riot.

6 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These guys start kicking trees at the age of four to toughen their shinbones for each other's heads. Yikes.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you didn't see blood, I've been to a few matches in Thailand and almost every time at least a couple of people got sliced open by an elbow.

Even the little ones get in with the elbows, saw a 10 year old getting his head stitched up after the match. He held his belt tho!

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey really wanted to see some blood. I would say the shoulder dislocation surpasses blood, as least as far as the flinch factor.
And yes, Rich, I do believe those ten year olds could beat up anyone in North America even without the elbows.
Erica

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey, We tried to raise our daughter with grace, dignity, and charm and you take her to a KICKBOXING event. What's a mother to think?!? Judy

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She wanted to go just as much as I did. It did make me think twice about going to one of the training schools. To be honest, I don't want to be punched, kicked, kneed, or elbowed in the face.

Also, Erin says that you still have one daughter with grace, dignity, and charm since she did not attend.

 
At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we playing the 'most favored child' game again? Seriously, I though I had won this one a long time ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home