Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Erin's Thoughts about Laos

We may have been a little slow with blogging about Laos (blame Erica) but we truly loved it. Laos was not on our original itinerary but after our period of troubles, we were ready to escape from Thailand for a little while. Other travellers had raved about Laos, so off we went.

As I mentioned before, arriving in Laos felt like one deep, relaxing breath. Everything moved a little (or a lot) slower, the food was familiar and tasty, the people friendly, and no hawkers to be seen. It is a developing country with the attendant problems -- pockets of extreme poverty, deforestation, poor water quality, etc -- but is still a fairly easy place to visit. The bus breakdowns and electric outages just added to the experience.

The countryside is lovely, the wats are more to my taste than those in the Thai style, and the shopping is just excellent. Go to Laos. According to experienced travellers, it is changing fast. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing but it is worth experiencing before it enters its next incarnation. I can't wait to go back.

(The first picture is from the walk up Phu Si to view the temple in Luang Prabang. The bottom two were taken from our balcony in Luang Prabang.)

6 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I think maybe Erica's right: Erin does look like a hippie. Fortunately, Joey still looks normal. You both certainly look relaxed.

Love, Dad

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOw, would hate for the bug to crawl in my bed at night....eeww! Gives my fear of roaches a whole nuther dimension. lol

I personally think you both should join us in Kauai on the 20th...thru the 29th..but alas, I guess you'd rather see the world! ha! Laos looks like the best to me so far...you both look great! Have fun! We will be drinking frozen drinks soon with little umbrellas on Poipu Beach, and engaging in some zip lines over the jungle and frolicking in waterfalls too...and RELAXING!!! love y'all. Mare Mare

 
At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have no problem joining mare mare in Kaui the 20th through the 29th. I now have practice at this whole "joining people" thing.
Erica

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yes, Dad, she does look like a bit of a hippie but weirdly, it suits her...Does this mean I need to start buying business suits to fill the role in our family?
Erica

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No ziplines for me, though.
Erica

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all look so relaxed...it relaxes me to look at these pictures. The beach pictures are amazing...I think dad and I need to visit Laos. Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home